Click Here

To access the website for students of all ages 

Please Help Me Educate America

Help Educate America at Home

Environmental groups have called on the government to round up Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy’s cattle with a mass seizure of livestock that some fear could lead to a tense standoff between armed militia groups and federal authorities.

A coalition of wildlife organizations wrote to the US Bureau of Land Management (BLM) on Monday urging the agency to remove Bundy’s cattle in the Gold Butte area of Nevada, where the 70-year-old has for years allowed his cows to graze freely on public lands in defiance of federal land-use restrictions.

The advocates’ demands come three months after federal officials arrested Bundy, eventually charging him and 18 other activists for their roles in a high-profile conflict at the family’s ranch in Bunkerville, about 80 miles north-east of Las Vegas.

For decades, Bundy refused to pay grazing fees to the federal government, arguing that the BLM had no right regulating land activity in the west. An ensuing court battle dragged on for years until the authorities showed up to his ranch in April 2014 with the intention of seizing his cows, which the government classified as an illegal trespass on public lands.

But hundreds of supporters, some heavily armed, showed up to defend Bundy’s cattle, forcing the government to stand down for fear of violence – a retreat that galvanized anti-government groups across the west.

After Cliven’s sons Ammon and Ryan staged a similar standoff on federal lands in Oregon in January, federal prosecutors aggressively targeted the Bundy family and their followers.

Now, Cliven and four of his sons who participated in the 2014 standoff are in jail awaiting trial on serious federal felony charges that could force them to spend decades behind bars.

Although the Bundy men are locked up, the cattle are still grazing without restrictions in an area that the government and environmentalists say is critical habitat for the Mojave desert tortoise, a threatened species.

“The BLM must not wait to act to protect the desert tortoise,” nine environmental and wildlife groups wrote in their letter, which cited a recent study showing how livestock grazing causes severe declines in tortoise populations. “The cattle should be rounded up and removed from these public lands no later than summer 2016.”


BLM, however, currently has no seizure plan for the livestock, agency spokesman Jeff Krauss said in an email. “Mr Bundy’s cattle continue to be in trespass. There are no plans for a gather at this time as we continue to cooperate with the Department of Justice on the ongoing legal matter.”

Spokespersons for the US justice department did not respond to requests for comment on Monday.

Angie Bundy, wife of Ryan, one of the jailed activists, said the family would not be surprised if federal authorities showed up again. “I really believe they’ve conveniently put our men in jails so they can come after our land and our resources.”

Cliven’s youngest son, Arden, 18, has taken on many of the responsibilities at the ranch, and other relatives are helping out, according to Angie.

“Arden had to grow up fast,” she said, adding that the ranch is still running smoothly. “The cows should do well this year if people leave them alone.”

In a court motion in February, prosecutors said the ranch had as many as 1,000 cattle straying as far as 50 miles away and further claimed that Cliven had neglected his livestock.

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God help this family.  It is imperative that organizations that support the Constitution do much more than just educate.  A coalition must be formed that brings tens of thousands of Americans together for the purpose of sustaining support to those who are being victimized by rogue governments.

So how about a posse? Where is the constitutional sheriff and his posse? If not them, how about a large group of people to protect the cattle? And the Bundy's are being held illegally.  What about  a jail break? I am quite serious. If I lived close by I would gather people together.  It only takes 5% of the people to start a revolution.  The other  95% will follow. 

No telling how many Ranchers have been 'shut down' and their livelihoods ruined by this BLM ( B ritish L and
M anagement )as in the Esquire lawyers BAR ( B ritish A ccredited
R egistry)
Get it!

One reason meat Rice's have risen so drastically...(:


© 2020   Created by Online Professor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service